Sunday - June 07, 2009

From: CentraI Islip, NY
Title: Plant Identification

Having great difficulty identifying a perennial plant. Although it looks marvelous (coming in two shades), I haven't been able to correctly identify it. Local college feels it is Eupatorium Rugosum, however the white flowers do not produce seeds, they emit a cloud of spores in the fall, which are highly prolific sprouting hundred of new plants in the spring. All research indicates that this plant is not native to this region. please help

Flowering plants make seeds, not spores.  The "spores" you see are no doubt very tiny seeds.  Please send us photos and we will do our best to identify it. Please read and follow the instructions for submitting photos on Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page.