Mr. Smarty Plants - Why will my Plumbago not bloom in Buies Creek NC?

Monday - June 15, 2009

From: Buies Creek, NC
Title: Why will my Plumbago not bloom in Buies Creek NC?

QUESTION:

I purchased a plumbago about two weeks ago with w few old blooms. I pinched them off, and my plant has not bloomed since. I understand they bloom profusely, and have witnessed it myself. Why isn't mine blooming? It was a medium size plant in a gallon container. I have not fertilized it since I purchased it. It was in full sun for about two weeks and now I have it in part shade.

ANSWER:

Plumbago (Plumbago auriculata), sometimes called Leadwort, is a non-native from South Africa. Both names derive from the color of the flower which is lead color, and the Latin name for lead which is plumbum.

I am going to refer you to a previous answer that I think will take care of all of your questions.