En EspaÑol

Sunday - June 07, 2009

From: Visalia, CA
Topic: Compost and Mulch, Soils
Title: Fruit in the compost bin
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

I have a compost bin and I use the pulp from fruits and vegetables as one of the ingredients in my compost pile. We juice everyday so will all this pulp be too potent for new seedlings?

ANSWER:

To get the most out of your compost pile you want to have about 2/3 brown material and 1/3 green material. Brown material include leaves, eggshells, coffee grounds, and bits of paper. Green material includes grass clippings and fruit and vegetable material. Mr. Smarty Plants recommends you read the USDA Tip Sheet on composting and keep your ingredients proportional.