Thursday - June 04, 2009

From: Fort Worth, TX
Topic: Wildflower Center
Title: The flower on the Plant Price page of Wildflower Center website

QUESTION:

What is the name of the flower that is on the Plant Price page of the Center's web site? I saw it for the first time this spring near Weatherford. It's red/orange & white and resembles a snapdragon.

ANSWER:

Well, unfortunately, I didn't get the photo you described when I looked at the Plant Price page.  The reason is that all those beautiful images rotate randomiy so that you may get a different image any time you look at a certain page. This element of surprise makes our webpages more interesting!  However, our webmaster, Philip Hawkins, sent me links to all the photos and I think the one that you must have seen is that of Castilleja indivisa (entireleaf Indian paintbrush).  I can't attach the exact photos that appear on our webpage, but here are some other photos of the wildflower for you.  If this doesn't happen to be it, let me know and I'll give it another try.

Castilleja indivisa

Castilleja indivisa

Castilleja indivisa

Castilleja indivisa