Mr. Smarty Plants - Caring for non-native Peace Lily

Monday - July 04, 2005

From: Longview, TX
Title: Caring for non-native Peace Lily
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

I have given my closet plant too much miracle gro and the leaves are drooping really bad. What do I need to do?

ANSWER:

By Closet Plant I suppose you mean one of the Spathiphyllum spp.. Another common name is Peace Lily. Our area of expertise at the Wildflower Center is native North American plants. The Spathiphyllum species are native to tropical Central America and Asia. We generally don't deal with non-native plants, but we can offer you some advice for your plant that has been over-fertilized. First, you need to leach out the excess fertilizer. You can do this by running water through the pot for 8-10 minutes and letting the water carrying the excess fertilizer drain out. You can also accomplish this by setting the pot in a bucket of water for several minutes. Change the water and resoak. Do this several times. Be sure that you don't put the plant in direct sunlight. You can read more about caring for your Closet Plant.