Tuesday - June 02, 2009

From: Marble Falls, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: What to do about powdery mildew on Pavonia lasiopetala?

QUESTION:

My Pavonia lasiopetala seems to have gotten mildew this spring. I was hoping that warm weather would get rid of it. Instead it has spread to most of the plants which are located in widely separated beds. Should I pull it all out? Or will it recover? I can't see that it has affected any of the other plants in the same beds.

ANSWER:

Pavonia lasiopetala (Texas swampmallow) is a popular garden accent plant throughout Texas, even though it originates on dry, rocky woods or banks of South, Central or West Texas. Like many other species in the mallow family, it is very susceptible to powdery mildew.  While pavonias leaves are sometimes greatly disfigured, the plant is seldom seriously injured by an infestation of mildew.  Before pulling it out, I would suggest trying to control the mildew. I've listed some websites that explain mildew, its causes and treatments, including both organic and chemical remedies.

Golden Harvest Organics

Lawncare

Washington State University Extension

Alabama Cooperative Extension System

Another source of information is the Burnet County Extension Office.

Pavonia lasiopetala

Pavonia lasiopetala