Mr. Smarty Plants - Do all tuliptrees (Liriodendron tulipifera) flower?

Tuesday - June 02, 2009

From: Medway, MA
Title: Do all tuliptrees (Liriodendron tulipifera) flower?

QUESTION:

Do all tulip trees flower? We planted a baby one about 5 years ago and its grown considerably however it has never flowered. Is that normal? Thank you!

ANSWER:

Yes, your Liriodendron tulipifera (tuliptree or yellow-poplar) should produce flowers, but I'm afraid you are going to have to wait a bit longer.  According the US Forest Service they produce their first blooms at 15 to 20 years of age. You can count on blooms for a long time after they start, though, since they may continue blooming for 200 years.  Here is a little more information from the Floral Genome Project.

Liriodendron tulipifera

Liriodendron tulipifera

Liriodendron tulipifera

Liriodendron tulipifera