Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of vine in Stony Brook NY

Friday - May 29, 2009

From: Stony Brook, NY
Title: Identification of vine in Stony Brook NY

QUESTION:

Identify- vine type, Thorny stem, medium size leaves, color medium green with a jagged-reddish edge, leaf shape oblong, small white flowers. Growing in a patch of English green ivy. Looks invasive. Spreading quickly. Can you identify?

ANSWER:

We are going to have you go to our Native Plant Database, do the Combination Search, selecting New York and "vine" under Habit. When you click on the Submit Combination Search box, you will get a list of 60 possibilities. Each plant will have a link to a webpage about that individual plant, with photos if we have them. There are thumbnail photos on the list page to give you a clue which to look at. If it is not there, and especially if you consider it invasive, it could very well be a non-native invasive. Of course, if it is growing in English ivy, that is another non-native invasive, so if you pulled the whole lot out, you wouldn't hurt our feelings. If you still can't identify it, go to our Mr. Smarty Plants Plant Identification page, and follow the instructions to send us photos and we will try to figure out what it is.