En Espa—ol

Sunday - May 31, 2009

From: Vero Beach, FL
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: When will angels trumpet bloom in Vero Beach, FL?

QUESTION:

At what age or height will my angel's trumpet be able to produce flowers?

ANSWER:

We found two plants native to North America that had "angel's trumpets" as one of their common names: Datura wrightii (sacred thorn-apple) and Acleisanthes longiflora (angel's trumpets). Since the Datura wrightii is the only one of the two that is native to Florida, we are assuming that is the one you are asking about. This plant is an annual, which means it will bloom, probably beginning about May and continuing through November, set seed and die. 

Please note this excerpt from our Native Plant Database page on this plant:

"Warning: Extracts from this plant and its relatives are narcotic and, when improperly prepared, lethal." 

Datura wrightii

Datura wrightii

Acleisanthes longiflora

Acleisanthes longiflora