Mr. Smarty Plants - Name of the cedar tree at Lake Travis

From: Manchaca, TX
Title: Name of the cedar tree at Lake Travis

QUESTION:

What is the name of the cedar tree that is at Lake Travis?

ANSWER:

The most common cedar tree at Lake Travis, by far, would be Juniperus ashei (Ashe's juniper).

Juniperus ashei

Juniperus ashei

Juniperus ashei

Landscaping with water garden from Pendleton SC
August 15, 2012 - Searching for native plants in SC. Your results miss some plants listed on your site. I noticed this reading the Mr. Smarty Plants response to "Edible Plants for North GA" We aren't far apart. ...

Problems with non-native indoor palm in Guilford CT
April 08, 2012 - My question is I have an indoor palm plant that I have had for 7 yrs. It has grown from about a 5" plant to about 3' tall plant. The past few weeks the leaves are turning yellow & brown and lost abo...

Best dogwood to plant in Dallas GA
June 13, 2010 - I am interested in how to select the best dogwood (Flowering) tree to plant in Dallas, GA 30157. The location receives full sun, the soil is typical GA clay/?. I found a list of 20+ Dogwood trees on...

Slow development in Shumard Oak from Porter TX
April 02, 2013 - We had two Shumard Oaks Planted in Sept of last year (2012). About a month later, they started browning and dropping their leaves (no color change). Now I noticed on one of the trees the buds have sta...

Live oak trees and possible drought stress in Lott, TX.
June 11, 2011 - One of our Live Oak trees is losing leaves in only a portion of it. I have researched Oak Wilt and I am not sure that is what it has. We have trees that are hundreds of years old and was wondering i...