Mr. Smarty Plants - Colorful shrubs for Kansas

Tuesday - June 02, 2009

From: Wichita, KS
Title: Colorful shrubs for Kansas

QUESTION:

I would like to plant some bushes or shrubs on the front side of our house which faces east. I would like them to grow 5' tall and provide beautiful color or blooms. What would be best for my location in Wichita, KS?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants suggest that you visit our Recommended Species page and select Kansas from the map or pulldown menu.  This will give you a list of commercially available native plants that are suitable for landscaping in Kansas.  Your can NARROW YOUR SEARCH in this list by selecting 'Shrub' under the General Appearance characteristic.  Here are 5 possibilities from that list that are near the size you are seeking.  The maximum height for the smooth sumac is a little higher than you want, but you should be able to keep it pruned to a more desirable size.

Amorpha fruticosa (desert false indigo)

Rhus aromatica (fragrant sumac)

Rhus glabra (smooth sumac)

Spiraea alba (white meadowsweet)

Symphoricarpos orbiculatus (coralberry)

Amorpha fruticosa

Rhus aromatica

Rhus glabra

Spiraea alba

Symphoricarpos orbiculatus