Saturday - May 30, 2009

From: Vernon, BC
Region: Canada
Title: Are blue spruce (Picea pungens) poisonous?

QUESTION:

Are blue spruce trees poisonous at all? Thank you.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants would say that Picea pungens (blue spruce) is not poisonous since it does not appear on any of the following toxic plant databases:

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina

Cornell University's Plants Poisonous to Livestock

University of Pennsylvania's Poisonous Plants

University of California–Davis Toxic Plants 

Evergreen plant to grow to 6 feet tall with flowers and non-toxic
November 04, 2013 - I live in South Texas, and in town. I am looking for plant that grows taller than 6 feet and is non toxic to people and pets. Would also like for it to be pest and disease free or minimal. Need it ...

Small flowering tree for Burbank IL
April 14, 2010 - Looking for a semi-dwarf flowering tree resistant to disease and insects. Current flowering crab has fire blight. What would you suggest planting. We live in a Chicago IL suburb.

Native plants for sandy soil and not much water
April 14, 2008 - I am planning a new garden at home and would like to grow native plants that can handle sandy soil and don't need much water. I do not water my gardens.I would prefer plants that can have more than o...

Montana native plants to create a garden with edible plants
January 14, 2013 - Hi Smarty Plants We are looking to create a native herb, vegetable, root, fruit, flower and ground cover garden for the area of Hot Springs, Sanders County, Montana. Our zone is 4 and soil is mostly ...

Young oak damaged by falling tree from San Diego TX
June 27, 2012 - My neighbor's Palo Blanco tree was struck by lightning and fell over our fence and on to a young oak tree in our yard. We waited a few days to see if the neighbor would offer help, but he never did,...