Saturday - May 30, 2009

From: Vernon, BC
Region: Canada
Title: Are blue spruce (Picea pungens) poisonous?

QUESTION:

Are blue spruce trees poisonous at all? Thank you.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants would say that Picea pungens (blue spruce) is not poisonous since it does not appear on any of the following toxic plant databases:

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina

Cornell University's Plants Poisonous to Livestock

University of Pennsylvania's Poisonous Plants

University of California–Davis Toxic Plants 

Is it OK to remove soil around oaks - Austin, TX.
May 24, 2013 - I have several oaks trees (one live oak + burr oaks) from 15'-35' in height. They seem healthy. A local arborist says they were planted too deep and that the soil around them needs to be excavated t...

Watering oaks during drought in Austin
July 29, 2009 - Should we be watering our live oaks and Spanish oaks during this drought? How often and how much?

Searching for a red mulberry tree (Morus rubra) to buy
March 17, 2008 - Want to purchase a native Texas Red Mulberry tree (morus rubra). Can't find one. Can you help? Thanks,

Non-native jade plants and spider plants beneath Mayberry tree in Bay Point CA
October 15, 2013 - I have a fruitless Mayberry in my back yard that's about 50/50' can I plant jade and spider plants under it? The tree is very healthy.

Wild plum tree failing to bloom from Simonton TX
May 04, 2013 - I have a wild plum tree that has been in the ground for 3 or 4 years and it has not ever flowered. Why? I don't know what kind it is. I dug it up from a friends yard. Her wild plum trees have flowere...