Friday - May 29, 2009

From: Duncanville, TX
Topic: Transplants, Trees
Title: What is the best time of year to transplant a young pecan tree?

What is the best time of year to transplant a young pecan tree?

Not now!

As a generality, planting of trees, and transplanting of trees is best done in early spring or late fall. You've missed the window for this spring, but you have plenty of time to get ready for fall.

The pecan tree  Carya illinoinensis (pecan) , as you may know, is the state tree of Texas, and can be grown in over 150 of the 254 counties of the state. I've included some sources that have good information about the planting and care of pecan trees.

University of Califirnia, Davis

Aggie Horticulture

L & N Custom Pecan Shellers

Carya illinoinensis