Mr. Smarty Plants - Looking for a supplier of Commelina erecta.

Friday - May 29, 2009

From: san antonio, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Looking for a supplier of Commelina erecta.

QUESTION:

I'm looking for a nursery that sells Commelina erecta?

ANSWER:

Commelina erecta (whitemouth dayflower)  is a  common wildflower with wide distribution in North America, and is primarily recommended for natural landscapes and wildflower gardens. It is considered a weed by some and has the potential of becoming invasive.  A relative, Commelina benghalens, has been designated as a "noxious weed" by the USDA.

Perhaps because of its  "weedy" nature, I have been able to find only one supplier, The Institue for Regional Conservation in Florida. (see plant list)

The plant can also be propagated by cuttings and from tubers.

For more help, contact the Austin Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas.