Saturday - May 23, 2009

From: St. Johns, AZ
Title: Disease problems with non-native Globe Willow

Globe Willow - Is exuding a white frothy foam/sap at several locations. What is this and how can it be stopped?

Thank you for your question. While we would like to answer all questions we receive, Mr. Smarty Plants' expertise is limited to plant species native to North America, their habitats and cultivation. Limited resources require us to decline answering questions that delve into other areas. We hope you understand.

Non-native to the United States, Salix matsudana originated in Southeast China. Willows are weak-wooded, fast-growing and, therefore, short-lived. They have aggressive roots, can lift sidewalks and interfere with sewer lines, often growing on soil surface, making a problem with mowing. Willows are susceptible to a number of pests and diseases, and notorious for littering the ground below. We found a website that specifically deals with this species of willow, and mentions the frothy foam you are experiencing: Colorado State University Extension The Globe Willow Salix matsudana