Monday - May 25, 2009

From: St Augustine, FL
Title: Flowering plants for shade in St. Augustine FL

QUESTION:

I would like to know what flowering plants I can purchase that grow in a shaded area in St Augustine Florida

ANSWER:

From our Recommended Species for Florida, we have chosen 13 herbaceous blooming plants and 1 low shrub that will bloom in part shade or shade. We consider "sun" to be 6 hours or more of sun a day, "part shade" 2 to 6 hours of sun, and "shade" less than 2 hours. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center recommends only plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plant is being grown. All of these plants are known to grow in or very near to St. John's County in Northeast Florida on the Atlantic coast. They are all commercially available and if you have difficulty locating them, go to our Suppliers section, type in your town and state in the "Enter Search Location" and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed companies and landscape and environment specialists in your general area.

Blooming plants for shade in St. Augustine, FL

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed) - perennial, 2 ft tall, attracts hummingbirds and butterflies, low water use, sun or part shade, blooms orange, yellow, May to September

Coreopsis nudata (Georgia tickseed) - perennial, 3 to 6 ft. tall, blooms pink April and May, high water use, part shade

Gaillardia pulchella (firewheel) - annual to 2 ft tall, blooms red, yellow, brown May to August, sun or part shade, medium water use

Ipomopsis rubra (standing-cypress) - biennial, to 4 ft tall, blooms red, orange, yellow May to July, medium water use, sun or part shade

Lobelia cardinalis (cardinalflower) - perennial to 6 ft tall, blooms red May to October, low water use, sun, part shade or shade

Lupinus perennis (sundial lupine) - perennial, to 3 ft tall, blooms blue, purple May and June, sun or part shade, medium water use

Rudbeckia hirta (blackeyed Susan) - annual or short-lived perennial, to 2 ft tall, blooms yellow June to October, medium water use, sun, part shade or shade

Salvia coccinea (blood sage) - annual or perennial, blooms white, red, pink February to October, medium water use, sun, part shade or shade

Viola lanceolata (bog white violet) - perennial, blooms white April to June, medium water use, part shade or shade

Viola sororia (common blue violet) - annual, to 10 inches tall, blooms white, pink, blue, purple March to May, high water use, sun or part shade

Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry) - perennial, to 5 ft tall, blooms white, pink May to July, low water use, part shade

Coreopsis nudata

Gaillardia pulchella

Ipomopsis rubra

Lobelia cardinalis

Lupinus perennis

Rudbeckia hirta

Salvia coccinea

Viola lanceolata

Viola sororia

Callicarpa americana