Tuesday - May 19, 2009

From: Adamsville, TX
Title: Plant identification

I found a large shrub/tree behind an old building on my place. It has small smooth oval leaves 3/4-1 inch; x 1/2 inch, small somewhat clusters of a blue fruit 1/4-1/2 inch diam with one seed in it. Can you identify. I live about 65 miles north of Austin Kathy

Here are three possibilties for your mystery tree:

1.  Ligustrum sinense (Chinese privet) is non-native and is considered to be an invasive species.

2.  Forestiera pubescens (stretchberry or elbowbush) is a large bush or small tree that grows up to 12 feet tall.  Here are more photos that show the fruits better. The fruits are blue.

3.  Styphnolobium affine (Eve's necklacepod) grows to 15 to 30 feet and here is another set of photos under its synonym, Sophora affinis.  The seeds are more black than blue.

If none of these look like the tree that you saw, please send us photos and we will do our best to identify it.  Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read instructions for submitting photos.