Mr. Smarty Plants - Grasshopper-resistant landscape plants?

From: Rockford, MN
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: Grasshopper-resistant landscape plants?

QUESTION:

We have a ton of grasshoppers in our area. I would like to plant bushes and flowers that the grasshoppers will not eat. Can you suggest any??

ANSWER:

Eating plants is what grasshoppers do, and if the insect is hungry enough, there's not much it won't eat. A llist of plants that grasshoppers won't eat includes cilantro, squash, peas, tomato leaves and most nitrogen fixing crops. Not a large list, and not plants that will fit well into your landscape. So the way to protect your plants is to control the grasshopper population using cultural, biological, or chemical means. The links below describe the use  of these methods in large agricultural settings as well as the home and garden.

University of Minnesota Extension

Colorado State University Extension

Texas A&M Extension Service

A source of help closer to home is the Wright County Office of The University of Minnesota Extension Service.