Mr. Smarty Plants - Plants for Maine

Monday - June 06, 2005

From: Bangor, ME
Title: Plants for Maine

QUESTION:

Hi there, I am looking for types of wildflowers that might be growing in Maine late july that would be okay to pick (would rather not pick endangered species, etc.). Any leads would be great. Also if you know of any wildflower growers that might have starts that might bloom in July!!! I'm planning a low-budget home-grown wedding for July 30

ANSWER:

There are two ways to find out what might be in bloom in Maine in July. Visit the Native Plants Database on the Wildflower Center web page. Choose Combination Search at the bottom of the page. You will then be able to search by "Bloom Characteristics" (including "Bloom Time") and also be able to select Maine from "U. S. Distribution". You probably also want to limit the "Growth Form" to "Herb". This will give you a list of plants blooming in Maine in July. The list will contain thumbnail pictures and information about each plant.