From: Benicia, CA
Topic: Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Native woodland plants for Benicia, California

QUESTION:

I am planting in raised beds around redwood trees, Japanese maples and rhododendrons in my backyard. I would like suggestions for native woodland plants to accompany my established plants. The area is quite shady and the soil is rich. Thank you

ANSWER:

On our Recommended Species page choose Northern California from the map or the pulldown menu for a list of commercially available landscaping plants for the area.  Here are a few suggestions from that list that grow well in shade (less than 2 hours of sun per day):

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (kinnikinnick)

Aquilegia formosa (western columbine)

Gaultheria shallon (salal)

Linnaea borealis (twinflower)

Rudbeckia hirta (blackeyed Susan)

Solidago altissima (late goldenrod)

Here are a couple of plants that aren't on that list but are native to Solano County and available at Bay Natives, one of our Associate Suppliers in your area:

Adiantum aleuticum (Aleutian maidenhair fern)

Triteleia laxa (Ithuriel's spear) and more information and photos

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

Aquilegia formosa

Gaultheria shallon

Linnaea borealis

Rudbeckia hirta

Solidago altissima

Triteleia laxa