From: Benicia, CA
Topic: Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Native woodland plants for Benicia, California

I am planting in raised beds around redwood trees, Japanese maples and rhododendrons in my backyard. I would like suggestions for native woodland plants to accompany my established plants. The area is quite shady and the soil is rich. Thank you

On our Recommended Species page choose Northern California from the map or the pulldown menu for a list of commercially available landscaping plants for the area.  Here are a few suggestions from that list that grow well in shade (less than 2 hours of sun per day):

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (kinnikinnick)

Aquilegia formosa (western columbine)

Gaultheria shallon (salal)

Linnaea borealis (twinflower)

Rudbeckia hirta (blackeyed Susan)

Solidago altissima (late goldenrod)

Here are a couple of plants that aren't on that list but are native to Solano County and available at Bay Natives, one of our Associate Suppliers in your area:

Adiantum aleuticum (Aleutian maidenhair fern)

Triteleia laxa (Ithuriel's spear) and more information and photos

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

Aquilegia formosa

Gaultheria shallon

Linnaea borealis

Rudbeckia hirta

Solidago altissima

Triteleia laxa