Thursday - May 14, 2009

From: Broomfield, CO
Title: Planting conditions for non-native Oriental poppy in Colorado

I live in Broomfield, CO. Is this a good time to plant oriental poppies, what is the best sun exposure and how should I prepare the soil?

Although there are several members of the Papaver genus that are native to North America, we found only one native to Colorado, Papaver radicatum (rooted poppy). Papaver orientale (Oriental poppy) is native to Central Asia, and therefore falls outside the range of expertise of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, where we are committed to the care, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but also to the area in which the plants are being grown. However, we found a website from backyardgardener Papaver, Oriental Poppy, Iceland Poppy which should have some information to help you.