Monday - May 11, 2009

From: medina, OH
Title: Identity of a plant in Ohio

Trying to identify a tree/shrub in Ohio. It grows from 6-8', and blooms through the summer. It has small green glossy leaves, and bell/trumpet shaped flowers in pink, white, or yellow with stripes. The flowers look like a hibiscus that has had the petals pushed up and together, but small and glossy.

Mr. Smarty Plants loves doing plant identifications; however, doing them from a description alone is difficult, if  not impossible, no matter how thorough the description.  Please send us photos and we will do our very best to identify your plant.  Visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants  Plant Identification page to read instructions for submitting photos for identification.

Another approach is to go to the Native Plant Database page and scroll down to the COMBINATION SEARCH box. Enter the information that fits your plant in the each of categories. Click on the "submit combination search" button, and you will get a list of plants, along with images, that match your criteria. Clicking on the name of each plant will pull up its NPIN page with details about it, and often more images. You can get other lists by changing your criteria.
For a source of information closer to home, contact the Native Plant Society of Northeastern Ohio.