Mr. Smarty Plants - Obtaining invasive weeds for biocontrol research in Florida

Thursday - July 07, 2005

From: Gainesville, FL
Topic: Rare or Endangered Plants
Title: Obtaining invasive weeds for biocontrol research in Florida
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

I work at the Dept. of Entomology at the University of Florida doing host range testing for biocontrol agents (insects) of invasive weeds in Florida. I need some help in getting live plants of some endangered species that I am being required to test with the potential control agents. In order to complete my research and be allowed to release the control agents I must have these plants. Do you know of anyone that could help with this? I am able to compinsate for time and effort and I will get all relevant permits Thanks.

ANSWER:

You need to contact the US Fish and Wildlife Service which administers the Endangered Species Program. You will need to make application through them. According to one of our senior people at the Wildflower Center, it is a lengthy and difficult process. Good luck!