Mr. Smarty Plants - USDA hardiness Zones

Sunday - May 10, 2009

From: Lawrence, KS
Topic: User Comments
Title: USDA hardiness Zones
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

I love your site..I don't live in Texas and would like it very much if you would include the zone with plant listings. Thank you for all your hard work!

ANSWER:

We agree....that would be very cool. Unfortunately, because the plants in our plant database are native plant species, there is very little information out there about their USDA hardiness zones. The USDA Plant Hardiness Zone map was originally devised to determine where in the U.S. exotic ornamentals would thrive best and is a result of plant trials carried out on those species. The good news is that if you grow native plants from your area (see our recommended species page) they will be suitable for whatever zone you occupy.