En EspaÑol

Saturday - May 02, 2009

From: Kenai, AK
Region: Northwest
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Invasive plant in pond in Kenai, AK

QUESTION:

We built a pond in our back yard with materials from the beach. Including some plants. Didn't investigate the plants(our mistake). Well now it has taken over all of our landscape. It looks like extra large blades of grass. Its grows to about 4' and buds acouple times a year. It has numerous sprouts growing under and up through everything. How do we get rid of this horror we created.Thank you for any advice

ANSWER:

Much as we would like to help you, we're going to need a little more help from you. It would be hard to help you without knowing what you have. While the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center focuses on plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plant is being grown, we need to know (or try to find out) what the plant is, first. Please go to our Mr. Smarty Plants instructions on how to submit a photo; when we get that, we'll try first to identify it, and then help you figure out what to do about it.