Friday - May 01, 2009

From: Fort Worth, TX
Title: Plant Identification

Curious about the identification of the foxglove-looking plants flowering along the railroad tracks that parallel Lancaster in Handley. Some are white while others are purple. Leaves are about 2-3 inches long, stalk is slender, buds come out all along the stalk. thanks

You are probably seeing Penstemon cobaea (cobaea beardtongue).  The blossoms can be white or various shades of pink or violet.  If this isn't what you are seeing, please send us photos and we will do our best to identify it.  For instructions on submitting photos for identification, visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page.

Penstemon cobaea

Penstemon cobaea

Penstemon cobaea

Penstemon cobaea