Sunday - April 26, 2009

From: San Ramon, CA
Title: Suckers on non-native Mayten tree

QUESTION:

We have a Meyten tree that has lots of suckers coming up from the roots. We would like to keep the tree, but if we can't find a way to control the suckers, we are considering taking it out. Any suggestions on how to get rid of all the suckers ?

ANSWER:

We think you are probably referring to Maytenus boaria, which is native to South America, and therefore not in our area of expertise. At the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, we are committed to the use and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. This California Gardens website Maytenus boaria points out that the plant suckers when the roots are disturbed, and that it has made the pest list in many areas. California is such a good area for growing things that far too many invasive non-natives have been allowed to take over and damage native habitats. We would suggest you take out the tree and then be constantly on the watch for fresh suckers appearing.