Monday - May 11, 2009

From: Lubbock, TX
Title: Will Hesperaloe parviflora Yellow propagate true from seed?

QUESTION:

Mr. Smarty Plants, I have searched all over the internet and have not been able to find an answer to my question. Will Hesperaloe parviflora 'Yellow' propagate true from seed or is division required?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants also has had some problem finding information regarding seeds of H. parviflora 'Yellow'. However, Jill Nokes, in her book How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest, describes Hesperaloe parviflora 'Yellow' as a clone of Coral Yucca that was produced by Ron Gass of Mountain States Wholesale Nursery. From this one might infer that the way to propagate H. parviflora 'Yellow' is by division.