Friday - May 01, 2009

From: Eugene, OR
Region: Northwest
Title: Vine for arbor in Eugene, OR

QUESTION:

We have an arbor that is partial shade and stays fairly wet and want to plant a climbing plant on it with shallow roots, preferably with flowers. We had a wisteria but got roots and shooters everywhere so don't want that. And something fairly fast growing???

ANSWER:

We went to our Native Plant Database, and searched on Oregon, vine, part shade and moist soil, and got three results. Two of them are members of the Clematis genus and both warn that all parts are poisonous. It has been called "peppervine" because it causes a burning sensation if ingested, and can cause severe blisters in the mouth.You can find more information on Clematis occidentalis (western blue virginsbower) from this Central Washington Native Plant website. All of these plants attract bees and butterflies.

Vines native to Oregon

Clematis ligusticifolia (western white clematis) - perennial woody climber to 20 ft. or more, deciduous, blooms white April to August.

Clematis occidentalis (western blue virginsbower) 

Lonicera ciliosa (orange honeysuckle) - perennial to 18 ft., blooms orange, yellow May to June

Clematis ligusticifolia

Clematis occidentalis

Lonicera ciliosa