En EspaÑol

Saturday - April 25, 2009

From: Jonesboro, TX
Title: Preparing to plant buffalograss in Jonesboro, TX

QUESTION:

Our current lawn is full of broad-leaf weeds, KR bluestem, a little native grass, lots of wildflowers and in spots, lots of rocks . We are in the country in Hamilton Co., TX. We want to plant buffalo grass. Four questions: Should we buy Texoka or Topgun seed? What do we need to do to prepare the soil? Do we need to add soil to cover the rocks? If we wait until after the bluebonnets seed, will that be too late for the grass seed to get established?

ANSWER:

Concerning which grass mix to purchase, you might go to the Native American Seed Online Catalog and look at their grasses and grass mixes.  Their Native Sun Turfgrass mix is 66% Bouteloua dactyloides (buffalograss) and 34% Bouteloua gracilis (blue grama). This company can also provide you with planting instructions, amount to plant and does mail order.

The rest of your questions can be addressed by reading our How-To Article Native Lawns: Buffalograss.

Bouteloua dactyloides

Bouteloua gracilis