Saturday - April 25, 2009

From: NYC, NY
Topic: Container Gardens
Title: Container plants for terrace in New York City

What flowering plants would you recommend that will grow well on a 16th floor terrace ,with all day sun in NYC?

As we hope you already know, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the use and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. We will select from our Native Plant Database herbaceous blooming plants that do well in full sun and are native to New York. First, we suggest you read our How-To Article, Container Gardens with Native Plants. Next, we will go to our Recommended Species, click on New York on the map, NARROW YOUR SEARCH and select on "herbs" (herbaceous flowering plants) for habit and "sun" for Light Requirements. We consider "sun" to be 6 hours or more of sun a day, "part shade" 2 to 6 hours of sun, and "shade" Less than 2 hours of sun. We will only be choosing a few examples, and you can go back, using the same method and select others that better suit your purposes. You can use the Narrow Your Search option to select for bloom times, colors, duration (perennial or annual) and even choose different habits, like "shrub" or "vine." Follow the plant links to the webpage on the individual plant and find out the expected size, water requirements, etc.

Achillea millefolium (common yarrow) - perennial, 1 to 3 ft. tall, blooms white, pink April to September

Campanula rotundifolia (bluebell bellflower) - perennial, 4 to 15 inches tall, blooms blue, purple June to September, sun to shade

Conoclinium coelestinum (blue mistflower) - perennial, 1 to 3 ft. tall, blooms blue, purple July through November, sun, part shade

Coreopsis lanceolata (lanceleaf tickseed) - perennial, 1 to 3 ft. tall, blooms blue, purple July through November, sun, part shade

Lobelia siphilitica (great blue lobelia) - perennial, 2 to 3 ft. tall, blooms blue July to October, sun to shade

Penstemon hirsutus (hairy beardtongue) - perennial, 1 to 3 ft. tall, blooms pink, purple June and July

Rudbeckia hirta (blackeyed Susan) - annual, 1 to 3 ft. tall, blooms yellow June to October, sun to shade

Rudbeckia laciniata (cutleaf coneflower) - perennial, 3 to 6 ft. talll, blooms yellow July to October, sun to shade

Achillea millefolium

Campanula rotundifolia

Conoclinium coelestinum

Coreopsis lanceolata

Lobelia siphilitica

Penstemon hirsutus

Rudbeckia hirta

Rudbeckia laciniata