Monday - May 11, 2009

From: Eagle Pass, TX
Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: Which cactus grow in the Eagle Pass, Texas area?

QUESTION:

I would like to know which types of cacti grow in my area since I can't seem to find any websites that may give me a way to identify them. The type I seek is the round type of cacti not nopal types. Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you soon.

ANSWER:

According to Turner's Atlas of the Vascular Plants of Texas the following cactus are found in Maverick County, Texas:

Ariocarpus fissuratus (chautle livingrock)

Coryphantha echinus (rhinoceros cactus)

Coryphantha sulcata (pineapple cactus)

Cylindropuntia leptocaulis (Christmas cactus) [syn. Opuntia leptocaulis]

Echinocactus texensis (horse crippler)

Echinocereus enneacanthus (pitaya)

Echinocereus reichenbachii ssp. fitchii (lace hedgehog cactus) [syn. Echinocereus fitchii]

Mammillaria heyderi (little nipple cactus)

Opuntia phaeacantha (tulip pricklypear)

Sclerocactus scheeri (Scheer's fishhook cactus) [syn.  Ancistrocactus scheeri]

Additionally, the following have been reported from the adjacent counties of Kinney, Zavala and/or Dimmitt:

Echinocactus horizonthalonius (devilshead)

Echinocereus papillosus (Allicoche hedgehog cactus) and photos

Mammillaria prolifera var. texana (Texas nipple cactus)

Opuntia atrispina (border pricklypear)

Opuntia engelmannii (cactus apple)

Sclerocactus brevihamatus ssp. tobuschii (shorthook fishhook cactus)

Chautle livingrock
Ariocarpus fissuratus

Rhinoceros cactus
Coryphantha echinus

Nipple cactus
Coryphantha sulcata

Horse crippler
Echinocactus texensis

Little nipple cactus
Mammillaria heyderi

Tulip prickly pear
Opuntia phaeacantha

Scheer's fishhook cactus
Sclerocactus scheeri

Border pricklypear
Opuntia atrispina