Mr. Smarty Plants - Problems with non-native Ixora

Wednesday - April 22, 2009

From: Houston, TX
Title: Problems with non-native Ixora

QUESTION:

I have 3 Ixoras I planted last summer and they did beautifully -- then Ike visted us. All the other plants in that garden have recovered and look beautiful, but the ixoras still look ill. No new growth. Do I need to fertilize or water more -- or just wait?

ANSWER:

From a previous answer: 

Ixora coccinea is native to tropical Asia, and therefore out of our range of expertise at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. We are dedicated to the care and propagation of plants native not only to North America but the the area in which they are being grown. We found a Floridata website, Ixora coccinea, which may be able to give you some help. We did notice that this plant does not do well in alkaline soil, and suffers from chlorosis in that kind of soil, which causes leaves to yellow.