Mr. Smarty Plants - Survival of yucca plant mowed down in Oklahoma

Wednesday - April 15, 2009

From: Bixby, OK
Topic: Pruning, Cacti and Succulents
Title: Survival of yucca plant mowed down in Oklahoma

QUESTION:

I have a yucca plant that came from a very old plant of my late father, and had transplanted it 6 years ago and it came back every year and bloomed. This morning I went outside and noticed my husband had mowed it down. It's like an inch high maybe a little higher. What are the chances it will come back? I was heart broken. Thanks for your time.

ANSWER:

The chances are extremely good that your yucca will rise again. One of the ways to propagate yucca is to cut off some root and stick it in the ground. It is a very tenacious survivor plant. Just leave it alone and you will probably be getting little "pups" coming up in a few weeks. What was your husband using to mow? A bulldozer?