Tuesday - April 28, 2009

From: Weymouth, MA
Title: Native evergreen for privacy shield in Weymouth, MA

QUESTION:

I am trying to find a good native evergreen tree that I can plant in a hedgerow to block noise and light coming from our neighbors property. We would need something that would grow tall because our house sits up higher than theirs. What would grow dense enough to block noise but also grow tall? Any guidance would be great!

ANSWER:

In your part of the country, both the terms "evergreen" and "tall" infer conifers and one holly. These all get really tall, but smaller trees and shrubs are mostly deciduous. Follow the web links to each individual tree page for additional information on water use, soils, etc.

Evergreen trees for privacy shield in Weymouth, MA

Chamaecyparis thyoides (Atlantic white cedar) - 40 to 75 ft., part shade

Ilex opaca (American holly) -  25 to 60 ft., part shade

Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar) - 30 to 40 ft., sun, part shade

Pinus strobus (eastern white pine) - 75 to 100 ft., sun to shade

Thuja occidentalis (arborvitae) - 40 to 60 ft., sun to shade