Mr. Smarty Plants - Is old fashioned Hollyhock deer resitant?

Sunday - April 12, 2009

From: Possum Kingdom Lake, TX
Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Is old fashioned Hollyhock deer resitant?

QUESTION:

Is Old Fashioned Hollyhock deer resistant?

ANSWER:

There are over 60 plants that bear the name Hollyhock. One is known as the largeflower wild hollyhock Iliamna grandiflora (largeflower wild hollyhock), but this is probably not the plant you are talking about. Another plant known as the Common Hollyhock (Alcea rosea) is an old garden standard that is not native to the U.S., but was introduced from Europe. Here at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center our emphasis and our expertise is in plants that are native to the United States.

However, Mr. Smarty Plants was able to locate three commercial nurseries who claim that Alcea rosea is deer resistant.

The Sooner Plant Farm

K.  Van Bourgondien and Sons, Inc.

Wayside Gardens