Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Sunday - April 05, 2009

From: Occoquan, VA
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

Today I was at Woodlawn Gardens, home of Nelly Custis, granddaughter to George Washington. There was a flowering plant there that had green (yes green) bell shaped flowers and very dark green leaves. The plant was about 18 inches tall. Any idea what this plant was? I'm thinking the flowers were green because they hadn't reached full maturity yet. Thanks.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants hopes you used your cellphone or camera to take photos of this flower because, as much as he likes to identify plants, it is very difficult—mostly impossible—to do by description alone.  Please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read instructions on how to submit photos for identification.