Mr. Smarty Plants - What will grow under a California Pepper tree?

Friday - April 03, 2009

From: san diego, CA
Title: What will grow under a California Pepper tree?

QUESTION:

What will grow under a California Pepper tree with a shady area oak tree nearby in a coastal community?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants is not sure of what kinds of plants you have in mind, but he will tell you how you can determine the answer to your question.

Go to our Recommended Species page, click Southern California on the map, and you will obtain a list of 208 commercially available native plant species suitable for planned landscapes in Southern California. To trim this list down, chose the NARROW YOUR SEACH option, and make the following choices; chose Califronia under State, All Habits under Habit, Perennial under duration, and Shade under light requirement.  Click the Narrow Your Search button, and your list now has 14 plants. Clicking on each plant's name will bring up the NPIN page for that plant which has information about growth characteristics as well as images of the plant. You can alter the list by choosing different parameters under the NARROW YOUR SEARCH option.