Tuesday - March 31, 2009

From: Muskogee, OK
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Evergreen hedge non-toxic for horses and goats in Muskogee, OK

I live in northeastern Oklahoma. I am trying to find an evergreen hedge, 6-8 ft in height, 4-6 ft spread that is not harmful to horses or goats. Everything that I have found is for Zone 8 or 9.

We will begin by finding suitable plants for your purpose by going to our Recommended Species, selecting Oklahoma on the map, and Narrow Your Search to first shrubs and then trees. Then, whatever we find, we will check with these various poisonous plant databases to eliminate those you could not use. 

10 Most Poisonous Plants for Horses from EquiSearch.com

Poisonous Plants from Trailblazer Magazine

Toxic Plants:  Horses from the ASPCA

Horse Nutrition:  Poisonous Plants from Ohio State University

You might also like to read Bulletin 415-Plants Poisonous to Livestock in the Western States from the USDA Agricultural Research Service.

Cornell University Poisonous Plants Informational Database

University of Pennsylvania's Poisonous Plants Database

Texas Toxic Plants Database

It turns out our two favorite evergreen shrubs are still the winners. You are in Zone 7a (average minimum temperature 0 to 5 deg F); both these plants are native to Oklahoma, and will be hardy in your area. 

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle)