Friday - March 27, 2009

Title: Shrub for shade in Austin, Texas.
Answered by: Damon Waitt

Live in Austin, Texas and need to plant a shrub or plant that will grow well in little to no sun. Can grow 4 feet in height

There are a number of small, native, shade tolerant shrubs that would do well in Austin, Texas. A search of the Recommended Species list for Central Texas for shade tolerant shrubs yielded 20 results. Of those results, Mr. Smarty Plants is partial to Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii (wax mallow)Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry), and Pavonia lasiopetala (Texas swampmallow) but you might also try the lesser known Amorpha fruticosa (desert false indigo)Mimosa borealis (fragrant mimosa) or even Erythrina herbacea (redcardinal).

Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii

Callicarpa americana

Pavonia lasiopetala

Amorpha fruticosa

Mimosa borealis

Erythrina herbacea