En EspaÑol

Monday - March 23, 2009

From: Gatesville, TX
Topic: Propagation, Cacti and Succulents
Title: Should I remove the flowering stalk from my Dasylirion leioiphyllum?

QUESTION:

We transplanted a plant that is new to us but going through your photos on your website, it appears that we have a Dasylirion Leiophy. My question is this.. Are we supposed to cut the 6' stem that flowers, or will it produce flowers on the same stem yearly?

ANSWER:

The Desert Candle Dasylirion leiophyllum (green sotol)  is one of the spectacular members of the agave family that grow in Texas. Its flowering stalk can reach up to 20 ft. Once the blooms have faded, you may remove the stalk, and the plant will produce a new stalk each year. If you are interested in collecting seeds, let the seed pods turn brown before removing the stalk.

This link provides more information from Aggie Horticulture

Dasylirion leiophyllum