En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Perennial plants native to northeastern Pennsylvania

Thursday - May 12, 2005

From: west pittston, PA
Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Perennial plants native to northeastern Pennsylvania

QUESTION:

What perennial plants are native to northeastern Pennsylvania?

ANSWER:

Visit the Regional Factpacks page and select "Recommended Native Plant Species List" for the Mid-Atlantic region. There you can find (in PDF format to download) a list of plants that can be planted in that region with a column that gives the specific states for each plant. The list is divided into plant groups: Ferns, Grasses, Shrubs, Trees, Vines, and Herbaceous (wildflowers). There is a column for both the scientific and the common name, and a column with comments on the average height of the plant, the bloom color and period, and the ideal light and moisture requirements. You can pretty well count on shrubs and trees being perennials and so are many plants in the other categories. Unfortunately, the list doesn't give that information. However, you can get that information by looking up the plant in the Native Plants Database. You can also do a Combination Search on that database and have the option of selecting criteria in four different categories for your search. The categories are: 1) Bloom Characteristic (color and time), 2) Growth Form (habit and duration), 3) Growing Conditions (light needs, water use, and soil moisture), and 4) U. S. Distribution. I also suggest that you contact the Pennsylvania Native Plant Society. It is possible that they have compiled lists of species for your area.