Tuesday - March 17, 2009

From: Wichita, KS
Topic: Shade Tolerant, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Plants for northern exposure in Wichita, KS

What are good plants for the north side of the house with acidic soil in Zone 6, Wichita, KS?

The north side of a structure is often considered to be subject to more shade, although you didn't specify that. Since you also didn't specify if you were interested in shrubs or herbaceous flowering plants, we will find a selection that will do well in part shade (2 to 6 hours or of sun a day) or shade (less thans 2 hours of sun a day). We will go to Recommended Species, click on Kansas on the map, and select first for "herb" (herbaceous flowering plants) under Habit, shade or part shade under Light Requirement, and then "shrub" with the same light requirements. You can repeat this process, putting in different light requirements as well as soil moisture, or searching for vines, ferns or grasses. When you follow a plant link to the page on the individual plant, you can check for soil type (as we will), propagation and links to other sources in information on the plant.

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center recommends only plants native to North America and to the areas in which the plant grows naturally. Plants grown in their native area will require less fertilizer, water or maintenance to flourish. 

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed)

Campanulastrum americanum (American bellflower)

Coreopsis palmata (stiff tickseed)

Echinacea angustifolia (blacksamson echinacea)

Lobelia cardinalis (cardinalflower)

Lobelia siphilitica (great blue lobelia)

Ratibida pinnata (pinnate prairie coneflower)

Viola sororia (common blue violet)

Amelanchier arborea (common serviceberry)

Cephalanthus occidentalis (common buttonbush)

Amorpha fruticosa (desert false indigo)

Symphoricarpos orbiculatus (coralberry)

Campanulastrum americanum

Coreopsis palmata

Echinacea angustifolia

Lobelia cardinalis

Lobelia siphilitica

Ratibida pinnata

Viola sororia

Amelanchier arborea

Cephalanthus occidentalis

Amorpha fruticosa

Symphoricarpos orbiculatus