Sunday - March 15, 2009

Title: Looking for non-native angled luffa, Luffa acutangula, seeds

QUESTION:

looking for angled luffa seeds in austin txThank you,your web site advertises luffa as an exception i get the run around about luffas ever where i go on the net why does evrybody advertise luffa but dont have them?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants is a little confused.  Our focus and expertise are with plants native to North America and Luffa acutangula (angled luffa or Chinese okra) is native to Asia and, thus, not really in our purview.  We certainly didn't advertise and don't have any seeds of it for sale.  I think you are just going to have to go back to the internet to look for seeds.  Since the USDA Plants Database shows Luffa acutangula (given the strange common name sinkwa towelsponge) growing wild (but not native) in Louisiana and Virginia, you might concentrate on seed companies that are based in those states.