Friday - March 06, 2009

Title: Non-native crepe myrtles in Coleman, TX

We want to plant 2 white crepe myrtle trees on our family cemetery plot in Coleman TX. Once they get established, they will be pretty much on their own. Wind and sun are abundant. Rain is scarce. Is there a certain variety that would survive better than others?

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is focused on the care and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. Plants native to an area are already adapted to the conditions by millennia of experience and will require less water, fertilizer and maintenance. Crepe myrtles are native to temperate and tropical Asia and therefore out of our range of expertise. This USDA Forest Service website, Lagerstroemia indica, will give you more information.