Sunday - March 15, 2009

From: Gilroy, CA
Topic: Drought Tolerant
Title: Drought tolerant plants for Gilroy, California

QUESTION:

We live in Gilroy, CA. We want to plant drought tolerant plants native to our area. We already have native sycamores and oak trees, manzanita and snowberry shrubs, and we have a list of local wildflowers that we are working on. Do you have suggestions on other types of plants, such as grasses, other shrubs, and trees? We live near a creek. Temps in the summer are typically 90-103 degrees (can go up to 115). Temps in winter typically go down to 32 for a few weeks and can reach as low as 26.

ANSWER:

Good Job!  It sounds as if you have made a fine start.  Here are several other possibilities:

SHRUBS

Artemisia californica (coastal sagebrush)

Eriogonum fasciculatum (Eastern Mojave buckwheat)

Ribes aureum (golden currant)

Baccharis pilularis (coyotebrush)

Ceanothus leucodermis (chaparral whitethorn)

Mahonia nevinii (Nevin's barberry)

Dendromecon rigida (tree poppy)

Fremontodendron californicum (California flannelbush)

Shepherdia argentea (silver buffaloberry)

TREES

Acer negundo (boxelder)

Prunus ilicifolia ssp. lyonii (hollyleaf cherry)

Umbellularia californica (California laurel)

GRASSES

Koeleria macrantha (prairie Junegrass)

Festuca californica (California fescue)

Sporobolus airoides (alkali sacaton)

You can find more recommended plants for Northern California by selecting that area from the map or from the pulldown menu on our Recommended Species page.