Saturday - February 28, 2009

From: Southlake, TX
Title: Information on Texas wildflowers

Does your site (or another site known to you) have a link to provide information on when our Texas wildflowers should emerge this year at various locations in the state, and whether this year is expected to be a "good"year, etc.? This would surely be nice in map form, with lines showing the dates.

To our knowledge, there is no one comprehensive map site showing when and where the wildflowers will be blooming. The reason for this is that the wildflowers are in charge here, and they don't read maps. They bloom when and where there has been sufficient moisture and where their habitat is undisturbed. 

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Wildflower Forecast has just been released for this month. Several other groups provide information on sightings and routes for viewing wildflowers. One of these is Lonestar Internet, Inc. You can find more routes and information at the Texas Hill Country Wildflower Trail web site. DeWitt County offers its own wildflower site as does Brenham, Texas in Washington County. On the Brenham page, select "Visitor Information", then "Wildflower Watch" to find their information on wildflowers. There is also a Texas Highway Department website  Wildflower Sightings. And you can go any time to the Wildflower Center Image Gallery which will always have pictures of flowers currently blooming, year round.