Mr. Smarty Plants - Vines for pergola in Fort Worth

Tuesday - March 10, 2009

From: Fort Worth, TX
Title: Vines for pergola in Fort Worth

QUESTION:

I just bought a pergola for back porch 12 x 10 that faces east so gets full morning sun, looking to plant vines for looks and help with shade. Would obviously like something that complements the pergola, has nice bloom and/or fragrance, doesn;t grow way out of control, and obviously can handle the summer in north texas...any suggestions?

ANSWER:

Here are several vines that should do well on your pergola:

Clematis pitcheri (bluebill)

Gelsemium sempervirens (evening trumpetflower) is evergreen.

Ibervillea lindheimeri (Lindheimer's globeberry) has pretty flowers and very interesting fruit.

Lonicera albiflora (western white honeysuckle) will grow as a shrub, but does twine and climb.

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle) is evergreen.

Passiflora incarnata (purple passionflower)

Passiflora lutea (yellow passionflower)

Wisteria frutescens (American wisteria)

Clematis pitcheri

Gelsemium sempervirens

Gelsemium sempervirens

Ibervillea lindheimeri

Ibervillea lindheimeri

Lonicera albiflora

Lonicera sempervirens

Passiflora incarnata

Passiflora lutea

Passiflora lutea

Wisteria frutescens