Tuesday - March 10, 2009

From: Fort Worth, TX
Title: Vines for pergola in Fort Worth

QUESTION:

I just bought a pergola for back porch 12 x 10 that faces east so gets full morning sun, looking to plant vines for looks and help with shade. Would obviously like something that complements the pergola, has nice bloom and/or fragrance, doesn;t grow way out of control, and obviously can handle the summer in north texas...any suggestions?

ANSWER:

Here are several vines that should do well on your pergola:

Clematis pitcheri (bluebill)

Gelsemium sempervirens (evening trumpetflower) is evergreen.

Ibervillea lindheimeri (Lindheimer's globeberry) has pretty flowers and very interesting fruit.

Lonicera albiflora (western white honeysuckle) will grow as a shrub, but does twine and climb.

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle) is evergreen.

Passiflora incarnata (purple passionflower)

Passiflora lutea (yellow passionflower)

Wisteria frutescens (American wisteria)