Mr. Smarty Plants - Endangered plants of Maryland

Friday - March 06, 2009

From: Olney, MD
Title: Endangered plants of Maryland

QUESTION:

My high school would like to plant endangered plant species of Maryland in our wetlands, but we do not know where we can acquire these plants. Do you know of a place where we could buy endangered plants?

ANSWER:

If the plants are endangered, there isn't going to be a ready source for purchasing seeds or plants for growing—at least you would hope no one would be collecting them from their habitat and offering them for sale. It is possible that the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) would welcome your offer to grow endangered plants, but my guess is that they would welcome even more the efforts of your class in locating and protecting endangered plants and their habitat.  I suggest you contact the Wildlife and Heritage Service of the Maryland DNC to see how your class might get involved.  Also, please visit the  Endangered Plants of Maryland page to learn the names and the status of the rare, threatened and endangered plants of Maryland.